Translate

Sunday, 16 June 2013

Silver Shadow Showcase!

For once the post header actually sounds like a Comic Book title!!

Two Super-Hero and a war comic from three publishers. This little lot includes my pride and joy, the rarest comic in my collection! I bought it around 8 years ago for £200, which at the time was around $300 US. Compared to some collections this is nothing, but with my budget, it's a fortune!! I actually bought it from money obtained after the sale of my parents house when they died so I call it my TYMAD comic (Thank You Mom And Dad). If I ever sell all my comics, this will be the one that stays!

Shadow Comics Vol 2 #2 - January 1942 - Street & Smith
The title ran for nearly 100 issues from the early to late 1940's.
The Overstreet Guide says this issue is rare, 10 - 20 copies exist.
I don't know if they know about my copy but  is without a doubt
one of  my most valuable issues! This is my TYMAD comic!

Showcase #58 - September / October 1965 - DC
Showcase started in the mid 1950's and eventually ran for
104 issues
The title was, as it's title implies, a showcase comic for different
characters and ideas. It relaunched many of the silver-age
Super-Heroes and introduced a few new ones to the DC universe.
Silver Surfer #10 - November 1969 - Marvel
A firm fan favorite when it hit the stands in the late 1960's,
the title only ran for 18 issues.
The Silver Surfer found fame in the pages of the Fantastic Four,
first appearing in March 1966.

2 comments:

  1. What does TYMAD stand for? I was googling it but I cant figure it out. WoW that Really is a Rare and Amazing copy - only 20 copies ever made? Why is that? There really is nothing cooler than finding Grail finds so Congratulations on going for it and getting your grail comic, its a Pretty amazing cover - would love to see interior pics too! All three are Very Cool, but only 20 known copies ever made - thats Insanely CooL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiggy! TYMAD is my acronym for 'Thank You Mom And Dad', because it was their hard work that bought their house, which was sold after their deaths which enabled me to buy the comic.
      To be honest I think they printed a lot more of this issue as it was part of a series. I think it's just that hardly any survive for whatever reason, and the Overstreet guide says it's an estimate, so there may be dozens more out there! Kind regards, Brian.

      Delete